It was just a couple of years back that demand of an industrial engineer has increased many times. Reason, an Industrial engineer can do a lot to improve performance of a company. But the fresh students passed out from educational institutes (Fashion institutes) acquired limited knowledge about the job profile of an Industrial engineer. Most of the jobs are learnt in factory by doing things. There are numerous tools and techniques which are used in by industrial engineers to establish an effective production system in the company.
Without having such tools earlier production managers and line supervisors faced difficulty in measuring work content, garment costing, and production planning correctly, even it was difficult to finalize orders. Our team has worked to find out important tasks those are important for an engineer, and needs detailed understanding of production fields, included in the following. Though job profile of an Industrial Engineer varies company to company, most of the job profile fall under following list.
- Knowledge about various sewing production systems
- Knowledge of all types of Sewing machine necessary for the company
- Time study (Cycle timing)
- Motion analysis of the operations
- Operation break down
- Preparation of OB (Operation bulletin)
- SAM Calculation
- M/C Layout and Work station layout
- Line Set up
- Production estimation of a line
- Work Sampling
- Method Study (Seeing Movements of an operation)
- WIP Control
- Line Balancing
- Capacity study
- Cost estimation of a garment
- Developing and Maintaining Skill Matrix
- Incentives schemes
- Calculating Thread Consumption
- Work aids, Guide and Attachment
- Performance Rating
An industrial engineer must have knowledge and skill on each tool and technique. Implementation of all tools at a time is not needed. Engineer has to go step by step.
Almost all work study tools and methodology are adopted from others industries and implemented to the garment industry. So each work study tool has guaranteed benefit if it is used effectively.
Also Read: Role of Industrial Engineers in Garment Production Management