Answer:When you place an order for something, you provide item specifications to get desired item from a supplier. Same thing applies in fabric sourcing. There are wide range of fabrics in terms of fabric designs, fibre content, fabric thickness and fabric quality. But you want one specific fabric for your garments or clothing.
Your desired fabric quality requirement can be understood by your supplier or dealer only if you provide fabric specification. Fabric construction and weight are two most essential fabric parameters (specification).
Fabric construction for woven fabric: Under fabric construction you have to
- Mention Ends per inch (EPI) and Picks per inch (PPI)
- Mention count of warp yarn and weft yarn.
- You can also mention width of the fabric you need for the order for the maximum utilization of the fabric. This is not part of fabric construction.
Weight in grams of one square meter of fabric. It is called as fabric GSM (grams per square meter). Fabric fineness depends on the fabric GSM.
Read resource posts for clarification about various terms related to fabric construction
- How to Read Fabric Construction?
- Warp and Weft in Fabric
- How to Determine Warp and Weft in a Woven Fabric?
Read these posts to understand more and GSM and finding fabric GSM.
- What Does GSM Mean in Clothing?
- How to Find Fabric GSM without Using GSM Cutter?
- How to Calculate GSM of Fabric?
You can find fabric weight and EPI and PPI by following method explained in the other posts. Without having right have instrument for measuring/testing these parameter, it is not a good idea to do it yourself. Instead I would suggest you to send fabric samples to one of the textile testing labs and get the correct information about fabric construction and weight.