In comparison with other manufacturing industries garment manufacturing still lagging behind in company Infrastructures, Technology level, Production system, Management policy etc. To bring a big change in garment industry qualified professional to placed in managing factories. To supply the logically sound and technically strong persons fashion institutes build their students accordingly. To become a good garment manufacturing professional one should have first knowledge of following areas and later to experience the field he/she going to work.
- Textile basics (Fibre, Fabric, fabric processing and finishing), Textile testing
- Pattern making, Sampling procedures
- Sewing machinery, (Cutting, Sewing and Finishing machines and equipment)
- Sewing production systems and advantages and disadvantages of each types of production systems
- Garment production processes (From design of a garment to selling it to a retail shop)
- Brief knowledge of other associate processes like Printing, Embroidery, Dying
- Productivity, Quality and human management
- Production planning and Control
- Usage of IT in apparel industry
- Initially little about industrial engineering and later depth knowledge of Industrial engineering
- Costing, Budgeting and Cost Control
All the above areas are very important that to be known by each who studied Garment Manufacturing Technology. After completion of study when one join in work then building of knowledge on that specific field is necessary. Otherwise self-improvement will not come.