What is Sedex?
|Sedexglobal.com home page screen|
What is Sedex?
The abbreviation of Sedex is Supplier Ethical Data Exchange.
Sedex is a not for profit membership organisation dedicated to driving improvements in ethical and responsible business practices in global supply chains.
The website, sedexglobal.com, has defied Sedex as
- a not for profit membership organisation dedicated to driving ethical improvements in global supply chains.
- a secure online platform for sharing and viewing information on labour standards, health and safety, the environment and business ethics.
- the largest collaborative platform for sharing ethical supply chain data.
- a truly global organisation with members in over 150 countries.
- not a standard setting body, code of conduct or certification.
When brands and retailers have different systems for supporting and monitoring ethical compliance, this leads to duplication and wasted effort. Impactt identified the need for a single platform which would drive convergence and allow different stakeholders to share information more easily.
How Sedex was born?
In 2002, Impactt convened a group of retailers and suppliers to create SEDEX- a web-based data sharing system which allows participants to share and access information about labour standards in their supply chains. By using SEDEX, suppliers can share information about audit results and progress against non-compliances to multiple customers via the same platform.
This helps build efficiency, improves cost-effectiveness and enables suppliers to spend more time on improving labour standards rather than reporting on them.
Over the next couple of years, Impactt led the secretariat and worked with the founder members to develop the governance structure for Sedex as an independent not-for-profit limited company, owned and managed by its members.
Key Sedex Facts
Today SEDEX is the largest collaborative platform for sharing ethical supply chain data. SEDEX has 38,000+ members across 150+ countries and 30+ industry sectors (as on April, 2015).
More information is available at http://www.sedexglobal.com
- Impactt Limited