Duties and Responsibilities of Industrial Engineering Department
This post is written by Madhaiyan C, a long time OCS reader. He is an Industrial Engineers and heading IE department of a leading garment export house in Chennai. In this post, he has shared the list of duties and responsibilities he follows in his company.
A written list of job responsibilities of a department is always beneficial for managing and monitoring a department from the top level. This also helps employees to be focused on their core responsibilities.
This is a complete list of duties and responsibilities for the Industrial Engineering department in the apparel industry. You can use this list and implement in your factory right now. You may need to modify some points based on your organization structure and IE team strength.
In this post, job responsibilities are listed for different positions of IEs.
|Madhaiyan C, IE Head|
Duties and responsibilities of the Industrial Engineering HeadFollowing are the responsibilities of IE Head in his company.
- Analyzing the CMT and Productivity details for all new development styles based on garment sketch or samples and provide CMT to merchandising department.
- After order confirmation the evaluated garment is re-analyzed for better and economical methods to reduce the negotiated CMT in order to stay in safe margin. It means reduction of SMV by construction simplification related to seam and method without affecting the actual appearance of sample.
- Releasing style OB, Line Layout and thread consumption chart for line(s) and all factories (having multiple factories) based on scheduled plan
- Department wise Manpower requirement rationalization based on target strength ratio of 1:0.8
- Co-ordination with planning department for allocation of similar styles, capacity plan, line plan and factory monthly plan based on the history of line and factory efficiency
- Co-ordination with planning department for improving the pre- production activities
- Co-ordination with Factory manager for cut plan and finishing plan based on delivery priority.
- Co-ordination with HR manager for training progress (fresh training and multi-skill training)
- Co-ordination with HR manager to reward outstanding operators based on Skill grade, efficiency and attendance (once in 15 days)
- Factory audit to be conducted to ensure the IED OB and Layout are followed in line.
- Monitoring and Auditing IE and Jr.IE activities in all the units
- Factory Production Incentive report monitoring and approval
- Working on new projects if any and suggesting advanced techniques in garmenting
Duties and Responsibilities of Industrial EngineerIndustrial Engineers are responsible for the following activities.
- Operation Bulletin (OB) preparation to be done for three stages, Initial Proto Sample and FIT, approved sample and actual OB for layout.
- Layout preparation for every style
- Every month machinery requirement plan to be prepared and arrange to in house necessary machine in advance by coordinating with Factory Manager and Planning head
- Arrange to in-house folders and attachment well in advance based on scheduled production plan
- Thread consumption chart preparation and co-ordinate with merchant team for thread purchase
- Skill Matrix updating once in three month
- Updating the SAM Database based on method improvement
- Preparing and updating sampling status based on production plan (PP/size set samples to be ready with approval one week before the style loading date)
- Preparation of factory wise incentive reports based on respective department production and efficiency
- Monitoring weekly performance report of individuals and conduct meeting to improve their performance
Duties and Responsibilities of Junior IEs (Sewing Floor)Junior Industrial Engineers of sewing floor are responsible for the following activities.
- Three days before the style starts in line, layout should be discussed with Factory Manager and Production Manager and get their signature to implement
- If any changes in the layout is done, it must be updated and change accordingly with the approval of IED – Head
- Requesting machines, folders and attachment requirement well in advance based on scheduled production plan
- Conducting Method study and educate to follow the best method to operators
- Conducting capacity study of individuals and fix their target after 3 days from the style starts
- Follow-up study (operators who are all not achieving the Target/Capacity)
- Bundle system follow-up
- Bottle neck operation – identify and eradicate
- Fixing new tailors grade based on their performance and criteria.
- Developing multi-skill operators based on their individual interest and maintaining skill matrix record.
- List out low efficiency operator and monitor to improve their efficiency
- Measuring line lost hours due to various reasons in sewing floor
- Monitoring and Line balancing – Based on Capacity and WIP in the line
- Helping supervisors in line balancing during high operator absenteeism
Duties and Responsibilities of Junior IEs (Cutting and Finishing Department)Industrial Engineers of Cutting and Finishing departments are responsible for the following activities.
- Cutting Operation Bulletin preparation
- Cutting capacity checking and manpower allocation depending on the style
- Finishing Operation Bulletin preparation
- Finishing capacity study and manpower allocation depending on style and priority of the order delivery
- Training program of new trainee tailors (15 days basic - pedal control, paper and cloth exercise) to be monitored
- After successful basic training, training exam to be conducted and trainees those scores more than 50 marks out of 100 to be transferred to production line
- Transferred trainee tailors are involved in production floor for a month period and monitoring their daily production and efficiency. During this period, head counting and target are not fixed to them.
- After one month, efficiency curve chart to be prepared and their average efficiency more than 35%, those operators are transferred to line and designated as Tailor grade E (entry level)
Duties and Responsibilities of Data Entry OperatorData entry operator is also considered as a part of the IE department. His activities includes as following.
- Preparation of daily individual efficiency report
- Preparation of daily line and factory efficiency report
- Preparation of daily line and factory lost time report
- Preparation of style costing report
- Preparation of MIS Meeting report
- Preparation of incentive working report
Many thanks to Madhaiyan. If you are also an Industrial Engineer, you can also share your experience to the IE community.