The primary elements of clothing design are product silhouette, line, color, fabric and trimming. When clothing is designed all of these elements are taken in account.
- Slim line silhouette- the garments which remain in contact to the body are called as slim line silhouette.
- Moderate silhouette – the garments which not fall close to the body contact are known as moderate silhouette.
- Extreme silhouette – the garments which have a layering of clothes to show the fullness of the garment and also improve the drape are called extreme silhouette.
#2. Line:It refers to the edge or outline of the garment.
#3. Color:Color is the most important of the design because it is the first thing that is noticed by a customer. More than the visual look of a color, it carries lot of meaning of the garment.
- Cloths in one color add to illusion to height.
- Dark colored top with light colored bottom tends to shorten the height of the wearer.
- Contrast between dark and light also creates effective illusion.
- Space filled with pattern seems larger than plain space.
- Dark colors recede visually.
- Light colors stand out. Thus single color have bright look and good combination of colors add the value of the garment.